If you prefer to watch the video of me explaining this, see here
Last year, at this time, I was looking at my phone and craving “more.”
I couldn’t be here in the same place next year. “More” looked like:
- 2x my current revenue.
- C-level clients who did the work.
- Better systems in my business for getting clients.
So I made this change to my phone:
I changed all the folders to reflect my affirmations. I learned this from Sarah Parkins. As the busy CEO of Birch Cove, she had too many apps on her phone that sat unused. It made her think about economy.
- What apps did she actually use?
- What affirmations did she want on her phone? Let’s face it, we all look at our phones 100 times a day.
- If the apps don’t fit into an affirmation, did they really need to be on the phone?
In 2023, I did the same:
- I bunched my Bank of America, Venmo, Wallet, Amex and Chase apps into a folder called “I am abundance.”
- Result: I had my most financially successful year in 2023.
- I bunched my LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook apps went into “I am in the best shape” folder.
- Result: I post a selfie from my weight lifting class on Instastories each morning for accountability. I’m happy when I look in the mirror now.
- My Delta, Uber, Airbnb, Google maps, Google translate, Soho house apps went into “I am a world traveller” folder.
- Result: I lived my top value (adventure) by travelling to 5 countries last year.
In 2024, I am obsessing over this quote from Jim Coudal:
“The reason that most of us are unhappy most of the time is that we set our goals not for the person we’re going to be when we reach them, but we set our goals for the person we are when we set them.”
Erik Partaker, in his book, talks about how it’s much easier to switch to a new identity than it is to change yourself. Recall, the strongest force in the human personality is the need to stay consistent in how we define ourselves. Tony Robbins once said that.
At the beginning of 2024, I made this change to my phone:
- What does the best version of me look like on the health, work, and relationship fronts? I wrote it down here.
- How does that version of me behave? I wrote it down here.
- How does that version of me get things done and interact with others? I wrote it down here.
- Give each of those “best-self identities” a name. I wrote it down here.
- Enter those identities into your phone as the names for your alarms. (Go to “Alarm” and hit the plus sign in the upper right hand corner)
- Set your alarms to go off at the time of day that would most benefit from being “powered” by that “best-self identity”. For example, see here.
Are you tired of where you are? Like me, do you wish to be somewhere else next year at this time?
The 2024 cohort of the Samita Lab Mastermind, culminating in a TEDx talk on a NYC stage, will be kicking off January 20th. If you want to go on this journey of massive transformation and self discovery, apply here.